Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on a 36 mile ride today and about 3/4 the way through the ride the Wildcat died and wouldn't start back. Heres the full details. I did hit a few trails that had some mud holes. Nothing extreme, but enough to coat the motor and undercarriage. Drove it 4-5 miles after leaving the muddy trail, hit the blacktop where I got up to 65 mph when the motor just died. When I tried to restart it would start and run for 2 seconds followed by a clunk, then a minor backfire. Tried this 2-3 more times with the same results. The engine light is on and giving code P0336. Its almost like its out of timing or the crank position sensor is bad. Has anyone had this happen? Luckily I had another atv rider along, was able to get back to the truck.

Also noticed the wildcat gas mileage was off all day. I ended with 1/2 tank after only 36 miles. The acceleration and power was normal throughout the ride. Don't know if this has any bearing on my problem. Thanks guys

·
Registered
996 Posts
When my 2013 X did that I had to have the whole stator assembly replaced. I had mine replaced on a warranty claim and put about 300 miles on the new one before some bolt came loose and tore things apart. Cat Care would not replace it a second time under warranty so the dealer stood behind their work and took the hit. It was around $1000 for parts and labor. Hopefully this is not the problem with yours, good luck.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Check your plug connections on the back of the unit. That code by itself could be a dirty spark plug.

·
Administrator
27,995 Posts
I thought that was the shift sensor code?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ive washed the mud off everything, when it dries I'll start by checking my connections. Ive also read a lot of post on the forum about sand in connections, stripped wires inside the housing. Ill start on one end and work my way to the stator assembly. BR67, bro you about made my heart stop for a second. lol. Lets hope that's not the case.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Start with the 3 plugs on the rear drivers side back by the oil dip stick. Take them apart, clean them, fill them with di-elecric grease and see if that helps. Mine through those same code along with a couple of others and I also had to have the stator replaced.

·
Registered
996 Posts
ive washed the mud off everything, when it dries I'll start by checking my connections. Ive also read a lot of post on the forum about sand in connections, stripped wires inside the housing. Ill start on one end and work my way to the stator assembly. BR67, bro you about made my heart stop for a second. lol. Lets hope that's not the case.
Sorry about that. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
996 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
That stinks!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. I will consider all the advice you've offered. I pulled the connectors today and cleaned out a lot of mud, reconnected. The code isn't showing anymore but I still have the "check engine light" on. What is the procedure to clear the codes? Im pulling the cover off tomorrow. Ill keep everyone updated as I go.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
it should clear on its own after so many clean cycles..

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
one more quick question. Curiosity has gotten the best of me tonight. I decided to go ahead and pull the cover to at least look it over. I took out the bolts, the cover moved outward about 1/2 then stops. Is there a trick to removing the cover?

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
one more quick question. Curiosity has gotten the best of me tonight. I decided to go ahead and pull the cover to at least look it over. I took out the bolts, the cover moved outward about 1/2 then stops. Is there a trick to removing the cover?
Its the magnetic setup of the stator/flywheel, grab it and give it a tug and it'll come off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My Cursed 14X stopped charging this weekend. Think mines the Stator. No codes I just shut it off and clicked to start. Shows bat volts 11.0 in Diag. Bats recharged and tested good. Unplugged the 12v out of the reg and shows 15.0V. plug it back in goes to bat voltage. Tried a hard wire from reg to bat and the same. Took the regulator off started the bike and measured AC voltage at reg input and at 2500rpm I had the following. 3 wires at inlet to reg AC Mag( 1-2 9v / 2-3 30v/ 1-3 30v). So I am going to take the readings off of the first connection and ohms I read should be .4 ohms between all 3 wires any way. Praying its a bad connection. Cause 4000$ in repairs( parts only from myself and dealer) since new and broke down every 3 out of 4 trips with 94 hrs and 750 miles. I bought it to not worry about breaking down all the time and not going through a set of wheels on my creeper..... Think Its time to Say bye bye to the cat trade it in and take the loss. I have spent more days waiting for parts then days actually in the seat when I can find time to drive it. This info is awesome to see how to take it apart and going to check it tonight. Also If anyone is interested in an aftermarket one (cause it cant be worse) rmstator.com sells them 3/8 the price of a new one from AC and made in Canada.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Fortune46X, I had to hook the battery back up and plug in the magneto for it to release. It wasn't budging. Once I plugged everything back up it came off with a little tug. So far the damage I can see is the starter teeth are ate up, the starter reduction gear is missing a few teeth. All the other gears look clean.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
It seems Im going to need the stator assembly #0802-064, starter # 0825-027, and the starter idler gear # 0815-032. Hopefully nothing else. The other gears/flywheel look unaffected. Once all the new parts are installed will I need to set the timing on the machine or will I be able to fire it up. I had a bad experience a few years ago installing a crankshaft position sensor on my Tahoe. Thought I could fire it up after I installed a new one. I ended up breaking teeth on the flywheel and starter.

Attachments

·
Registered
718 Posts
Mine did the same thing I got a new starter and the gear it hooks up with put them in seal starter real good with gasket stuf tightened up filled the cat with oil and started right up and ran good didn't have to screw with timing

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Sjs. My starter looks about the same.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts