Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,

Looking to get opinions on a reluctor shield for the XX. I found 2 options, one from 775Fabrication that is made from steel and powder coated the other is made by Marked Motorsports from aluminum.

The 775Fabrication shield appears to have more holes to support ventilation, but I can not find views of the Marked Motorsports shield from all angles.

The placement of the reluctor puts it right in the path of everything kicked up by the rear passenger tire, so adding a shield seems like a smart idea.

Interested to hear what you guys are using.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
DIY flat piece of aluminum sheet, with standoffs to set it far enough away from the reluctor to allow air to flow. No issues in slightly over 2k miles. Could be replicated for about $8.

Reactions: Total Loss

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mbrandt.

Any chance you can take some pictures when you get a chance and share how you made you shield?

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts

IMG_1533.JPG

As for how to make it, unplug the connections and remove the reluctor. Position it on the metal sheet, mark where to cut and where the holes go. As you can see in the pic, I made the shield long enough to protect the electrical connectors. Cut and drill. Cut the stand-offs to the length you want, buy longer screws (most likely 6mm x 1) and re-assemble. Don't forget to put blue Loctite or similar on the screws before assembly. If you are concerned about keeping the reluctor cool, you could make the shield out of expanded metal screen and put fender washers on each side.

Online Metals is a good source for metal tubing, sheet, bar, etc. Small diameters of steel tubing can usually be cut to length with a (drum roll) tubing cutter from the plumbing section of your local hardware store. The cut will usually be tapered a bit, but it will be square to the tubing. My hacksaw skills don't compare well to what the tubing cutter will do. Aluminum tube is a breeze to cut with a tubing cutter, even in some surprisingly thick wall sections.

Once you start fabricating stuff like this, you will often have everything you need (except for the longer screws) tucked away in your work area. I literally walked out to my shop and had a shiny reluctor shield about 20 mins later, at zero out of pocket cost.

Reactions: mtgott

·
Premium Member
7,739 Posts
being i'm mechanically challenged and still working on putting toothpaste on a tooth brush i found it easier to purchase the 775 fabrication reluctor shield...very happy with it and more importantly it looks good...also, keeps the economy going...

·
Registered
39 Posts
being i'm mechanically challenged and still working on putting toothpaste on a tooth brush i found it easier to purchase the 775 fabrication reluctor shield...very happy with it and more importantly it looks good...also, keeps the economy going...
Thanks for the support! We're please to see the fit/finish and function meets your needs!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello,

Looking to get opinions on a reluctor shield for the XX. I found 2 options, one from 775Fabrication that is made from steel and powder coated the other is made by Marked Motorsports from aluminum.

The 775Fabrication shield appears to have more holes to support ventilation, but I can not find views of the Marked Motorsports shield from all angles.

The placement of the reluctor puts it right in the path of everything kicked up by the rear passenger tire, so adding a shield seems like a smart idea.

Interested to hear what you guys are using.

Thanks
Shoot the shop a call or email if you have any questions, we'd be happy to help! (this was our very 1st product for the XX when it was released in 2018)

·
Premium Member
7,739 Posts
to protect your reluctor from debris thrown up by the right rear tire...
…a magnetic device, called a reluctor, that is operated by the distributor shaft to produce timed electric signals, which are amplified and used to control the current to the induction coil. These newer ignition systems are more reliable than the old, permit better control of the engine, and produce higher-voltage…

Reactions: 775Fabrication

·
Registered
894 Posts
DIY flat piece of aluminum sheet, with standoffs to set it far enough away from the reluctor to allow air to flow. No issues in slightly over 2k miles. Could be replicated for about $8.
What I did...out of a piece of alum insulation i removed from the car. Cost- Zero.
What we do here at PPPP. (Poormans Practical Performance Parts)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is this known problem? Either way, looks like a fun new project for the weekend :)
Could this be made out of 3/8" HDPE or would there be too much heat in that area?

·
Premium Member
7,739 Posts
think i'd stay away from any plastics product...location is right by the header/exhaust area...check out total loss' pic...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts