Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 XX and have been enjoying it for the most part of a year now. I do have two issues which I would like to understand better.

Issue 1: When starting out I cannot shift gears with the engine running. I have to kill the engine, then switch gears, then restart the engine. After it warms up a bit it seems to shift better. Is this normal? If so, why does my friends Polaris and Kawasaki not have these issues, even when cold?

Issue 2: When starting out from a stop, it really jerks me in the seat when the clutch engages. It is not a smooth engagement and startup. This occurs even after warming up.

I took it to the dealer and he said this is "normal behavior' for the wildcat. He said the warmup idle is set high enough that you cannot shift with the engine running. He indicated that the clutch engagement was supposed to be "aggressive". Bottom line there were no adjustments he could make to smooth things out for me. Is this indeed the Wildcat XX design?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Issue 1: I don't ever try to move mine until it warms up. I plow with mine so it gets a few minutes a warm up before i do anything. It does make cense that when it's on high idle it won't shift.
Issue 2: I had the same problem until i changed the belt. Just make sure and break in the new belt. NICELY. Make sure and wash the new belt with hot water with dishwashing soap. I have a buddy that had the same problem. He was mad that it did it from new. But like we talked about. You can't tell what or how it was tried at the dealership. It only takes one time to burn a spot on the belt. The good thing is you end up with a spare belt. Not that you need it. I've been changing my belt at 1000 miles. Just because. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Issue 1: I don't ever try to move mine until it warms up. I plow with mine so it gets a few minutes a warm up before i do anything. It does make cense that when it's on high idle it won't shift.
Issue 2: I had the same problem until i changed the belt. Just make sure and break in the new belt. NICELY. Make sure and wash the new belt with hot water with dishwashing soap. I have a buddy that had the same problem. He was mad that it did it from new. But like we talked about. You can't tell what or how it was tried at the dealership. It only takes one time to burn a spot on the belt. The good thing is you end up with a spare belt. Not that you need it. I've been changing my belt at 1000 miles. Just because. Hope this helps.
Thanks much Slymer! I will def give it a while to warm up before moving it. Re the belt, I will go ahead and change my belt and see what happens. Honestly I may have not broken it in correctly and if it is belt related this would give me a chance to start over and break it in correctly.

·
Premium Member
7,739 Posts
just remember not to rev the engine while in park...just idle warm it up...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks much Slymer! I will def give it a while to warm up before moving it. Re the belt, I will go ahead and change my belt and see what happens. Honestly I may have not broken it in correctly and if it is belt related this would give me a chance to start over and break it in correctly.
You can also use a Scott Brite pad and clean the clutch faces when your in there. I tend to be a little ocd on things. So I make sure and do everything I can to help.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
just remember not to rev the engine while in park...just idle warm it up...
Actually, the secondary clutch is not stationary in Park on the XX. Makes it a pain to torque the clutch bolt correctly.

Regarding the trans being hard to shift during warm-up fast idle: it will get better as the trans loosens up. At 2200 miles, mine is getting to where I can shift it with just some extra effort until it warms up. When it was new and all I wanted to do was drive it out of the shop (i.e. warming it up made no sense), I had to start it in reverse.

Tell your Polaris and Kawi friends that if their transaxle was built to tighter tolerances it would do the same. That's probably total BS, but it will keep things stirred up.

Reactions: slymer and DeanTeck

·
Registered
309 Posts
Clean your clutches often with compress air and lean your belt with hot water and dish soap also. I clean the clutches after every long ride almost with air. Makes a huge difference in clutch operation

·
Registered
9 Posts
I consider this a feature. When I start my 2018 XX I always hear the belt and secondary clutch rotating. The first time I heard it I took the cover off and checked everything down to the primary clutch idler bearing.
It's a bit of a pain to let it warm up but when it idles down the belt already made many slow rounds and is ready to run. Your buddy's Polaris or Canned Ham will shift when cold then grab the cold belt and rip it apart. The KRX Kawasaki and all of the Yamaha that I am familiar with have a centrifugal clutch between the crank and the primary. The belt is always engaged with the centrifugal in between.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts