Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am hoping someone has already done the hard work and put together a optimized kit for the XX. I am also hoping they might have already itemized it in a spreadsheet or something lol. Basically looking for all the specific wrenches, allens, sockets etc we need to work on the XX. I have a toolkit put together but I would like to slim it down quite a bit and not drag along anything I dont actually need for the XX. Pic for attention!

TIA!

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
The factory tool kit is actually pretty complete. If you want to carry better tools, just mirroring what is in it would be a very good starting point.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got this which you can attach anywhere in various ways. Has a nice spot in middle for quite a bit of tools. 90% of this car is metric so that narrows down what you need. I have factory tool kit in there and probably 20 more pieces of my own tools also. I can get you pics in the near future. I attached mine to the roof. Drilled 4 holes and used the built in grommets in straps and some silicone to make sure nothing leaked. Pretty sleek and you can't even tell it's there

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
View attachment 252777 I got this which you can attach anywhere in various ways. Has a nice spot in middle for quite a bit of tools. 90% of this car is metric so that narrows down what you need. I have factory tool kit in there and probably 20 more pieces of my own tools also. I can get you pics in the near future. I attached mine to the roof. Drilled 4 holes and used the built in grommets in straps and some silicone to make sure nothing leaked. Pretty sleek and you can't even tell it's there

Ive been a little confused on belt storage, some people I see run a bag like you linked which I was going to get, but then i see lots of people just zip tie them and store wherever all covered in dust. I assume keeping them clean will improve lifespan once you install it? I have a tool roll i store under the seat so mostly just trying too decide what to keep in it.

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
My spare is always a used belt, so if it is a little dusty when I install it to get me home, no worries, I'll be replacing it and sending back to stand-by duty ASAP. As I just posted in another thread, there is a vertical space behind and to the outside of the driver that is fits snug into.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Factory tool kit DOES NOT have anything to remove a lug nut. Boo! Discovered this a few weeks ago the hard way.
Yep I found that out the hard way too. I had a lug wrench in my toolkit that previous owner had bought, it broke on the 4th lugnut leaving me no way to get last one off, or tighten other 3. Factory kit let me down at that point. Now i carry a breaker bar with the right socket and a backup ratchet and socket.

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
A side benefit of spline drive lug nuts is that you never give a thought to whether the OEM took kit will work!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lug wrench is the handle of the spare wheel holder (the Y). I also found this out the hard way. I had the spare but didn't get the holder. Luckily a passer but had a wrench to borrow. Seems silly to not included it instead of some of the other crap in the tool bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is what I have in my kit, it all fits in the medium plano sportsmans trunk which sits perfectly in the front of the bed and can use synch straps to hold it down with the D-Rings and still open the trunk.

From the bottom up.
24" breaker bar
Class B first aid kit
Small Harbor freight 12v plug in air pump
tire patch kit
folding 13" saw
Hand chain saw- This has saved my ass on numerous occasions from having to turn around due to down trees
Fire Starting Kit

Milwaukee tool bag:
13 piece metric wrench kit
Metric socket sets, regular and deep well.
2- 3/8" drive wrenches
torx bit sockets
torx bit allens
metric allen bit sockets
metric allens
roll of duct tape
roll of electrical tape
zip ties
19mm deep well 1/2" drive
30mm deep well 1/2" drive
Multitool that stays in the trunk

two pairs of leather gloves
Spare sweatshirt for the girlfriend
Two of the $1 ponchos
Two bottles of water and some trail mix

From the little bit of working on the machine I have done, I have noticed that you will use a 10mm 13mm 15mm 17mm and 19mm wrench/socket, but they are never 19mm bolt on 19mm nut, they were smart enough to do 17mm on 15mm etc.

This should give you a good starting point and then tailor your kit to whatever you need. I basically wanted to have everything I would need to put my spare tire on trailside down to pulling an axle.

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
That's a pretty thorough toolkit.

As far as commonly used wrench/sockets, there are a lot of 18mm nuts, but very few 19mm on the XX.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is what I have in my kit, it all fits in the medium plano sportsmans trunk which sits perfectly in the front of the bed and can use synch straps to hold it down with the D-Rings and still open the trunk.

From the bottom up.
24" breaker bar
Class B first aid kit
Small Harbor freight 12v plug in air pump
tire patch kit
folding 13" saw
Hand chain saw- This has saved my ass on numerous occasions from having to turn around due to down trees
Fire Starting Kit

Milwaukee tool bag:
13 piece metric wrench kit
Metric socket sets, regular and deep well.
2- 3/8" drive wrenches
torx bit sockets
torx bit allens
metric allen bit sockets
metric allens
roll of duct tape
roll of electrical tape
zip ties
19mm deep well 1/2" drive
30mm deep well 1/2" drive
Multitool that stays in the trunk

two pairs of leather gloves
Spare sweatshirt for the girlfriend
Two of the $1 ponchos
Two bottles of water and some trail mix

From the little bit of working on the machine I have done, I have noticed that you will use a 10mm 13mm 15mm 17mm and 19mm wrench/socket, but they are never 19mm bolt on 19mm nut, they were smart enough to do 17mm on 15mm etc.

This should give you a good starting point and then tailor your kit to whatever you need. I basically wanted to have everything I would need to put my spare tire on trailside down to pulling an axle.
Thanks very much! That pretty much is what i put together using this roll bag. Looks like ill need to add a few things though.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I went with the PPPP kit. Poormans Practical Performance Products.
I repurposed an old bath and makeup nylon travel bag that was being tossed. Even fits my 2" tow strap on one side.

Had to change a flat last time out...the toolkit and scizzor jack fit behind the drivers seat where I have my seating position.
Worked well...but I needed a short extension for the spare mount and jack. I cut off the loop end on the jack and welded a 19mm nut so everything is universal. Used a 3/8 extendable socket wrench- easily get to the 90 lbs torque.

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
My kit includes a piece of heavy wall tubing that joins my breaker bar to a long 1/2" extension. The three pieces add up to nearly 30" worth of leverage, yet fit into a water-resistant box that goes under the driver's seat.

I like the idea of welding a nut onto the scissor jack!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks very much! That pretty much is what i put together using this roll bag. Looks like ill need to add a few things though.

View attachment 252943
That should work no problem, where I work we order a ton of milwaukee tools so there are quite a few of the milwaukee bags that we just toss out. So I dug one out of the garbage and used that. The roll up would be nice as it secures the tooling from moving around while riding. The little socket kit I got is always jumbled up when I go into it.

The best part of my kit is I never need to dig into my tool chest even when working on it at home. Eventually I plan on taking a spare front and rear axle with me incase I ever need to change trail side.

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
I keep trying to buy a failed axle, to harvest the outer "stub". I figure I can get home from almost anywhere with 3wd after removing the bad axle. The stub would keep the hub in the wheel bearing, and it would work front or rear. So far, no one has replied when I've offered to buy their broken axle!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I keep trying to buy a failed axle, to harvest the outer "stub". I figure I can get home from almost anywhere with 3wd after removing the bad axle. The stub would keep the hub in the wheel bearing, and it would work front or rear. So far, no one has replied when I've offered to buy their broken axle!
Thats a really good idea. I have a good rear axle with a ripped boot, maybe ill cannibalize it for parts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts