Wildcat Forum banner

Wildcat

17K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  going140mph 
#1 ·
#9 ·
Yes The Black Does Look Great

#10 · (Edited)
After sitting here staring at the pic and drooling all over my keyboard I am noticing a few things that raise concern. I read the article and it looks like the initial release will be targeting the sand riders more then the woodland riders. The background in the picture backs that up. Cat admits to making a huge mistake by not realizing the size of pure sport SxS market earlier, they'd be making a big mistake in not realizing that the woodland and ridge riders make up the majority of the market. My decision time will be in two months once the 2012 RZR's are released. If the Wildcat is not offered in models 60" or less then I will be bummed, as will many many others.

#12 ·
Sales figures for Polaris' RZR models show a stark opposite of what you are asking for. Their number one sales is for the RZR XP900, which is 64 inches wide, same as the Wildcat. Their second largest selling RZR, is the RZR-4, which is 60 inches wide, 3rd is the RZR-S, again 60 inches wide. Even the Ranger outsells the 50 inch wide RZR.

Yes, there are many trails that are limited to 50 inch wide machines, but most of those are for atv's and running a RZR on them is not a wise choice always. The roll bars of the RZR can't duck out of the way of trees that overhang the trail. That is what many are finding in the Rocky Mountain riding areas.

Let the Wildcat and the desert southwest have our time and fun in the sun, you straight trail guys have gotten most of the attention from Arctic Cat for several years now. The Prowler XTZ's and XTX's were clearly suited more for wooded trails and hunters. Us desert and dune guys had to take your trail machines and adapt them to our needs.

Yes, width and longer wheelbase are king in the southwest... My Prowler now sits at 82 inches wheelbase and 72.5 inches wide.

#11 ·
[h=2]June 3, 2011[/h][h=3]Spy News: Arctic Cat Wildcat UTV [/h]Most people haven’t heard that the Arctic Cat Prowler XTZ 1000 won the famous Baja 1000 the first year the machine was on the market. That same year the second place winner was also and Arctic Cat. However, that was the 700 XTX. What an impressive accomplishment. Unfortunately, Arctic Cat overall is a small company and even though they were very proud of the win they simply didn’t publicize it as well as some of the other brands publicize their results.
Arctic Cat is changing. To prove the new Arctic Cat evolution just take a quick look at their new Arctic Cat 2012 Snowmobile line up. Arguably the best snowmobiles on the market just got better. They are and will continue to be the mark to beat.
Another indicator that Arctic Cat has the gas on wide open it the new Arctic Cat Wildcat UTV. This unit is going to take the UTV market head on. More specifically, this will be the unit to knock the Polrais RZR off it’s high chair and make it cry like a baby.
Recent “secret” test of the Arctic Cat Wildcat Side X Side in the desert of Southern California has recorded the Wildcat going through monster sized whoops at over 70 MPH stock. Other UTVs going through the section only reached a top speed of 38 MPH.
There is no doubt that Arctic Cat has again raised the bar with their new product. The Edge Powersports, Arctic Cat Dealer in Draper, Utah is making preparations to race the new Wildcat in the Baja 1000 and let the world know the results.

#13 ·
[h=2]June 3, 2011[/h][h=3]Spy News: Arctic Cat Wildcat UTV [/h]

More specifically, this will be the unit to knock the Polrais RZR off it’s high chair and make it cry like a baby.
Recent “secret” test of the Arctic Cat Wildcat Side X Side in the desert of Southern California has recorded the Wildcat going through monster sized whoops at over 70 MPH stock. Other UTVs going through the section only reached a top speed of 38 MPH.

I've heard from other sources that this is pretty much spot on for the Wildcat.... Can't wait to see a "Johnnyized" version of it though..

#14 ·
Darryl.... in the southwest I'm sure your numbers are correct but in North America the number one selling RZR is...the RZR... followed by the RZR S then the XP. A poll over in Arcticchat buttressed that fact and showed riders preferred the RZR style more then the RZR S and RZR XP styles combined. You sand guys should love this Wildcat, I just hope there is a 60" or less version for us ridge runners.

The "sport utility" side by sides just don't cut it, too wide and clutzy...even the much hailed commander...the RZR is king but its only a matter of time before it gets knocked off. I would bet you will see Yammi and Can-Am releasing pure sport SxS's in the next few years.

#15 ·
Darryl.... in the southwest I'm sure your numbers are correct but in North America the number one selling RZR is...the RZR... followed by the RZR S then the XP. A poll over in Arcticchat buttressed that fact and showed riders preferred the RZR style more then the RZR S and RZR XP styles combined. You sand guys should love this Wildcat, I just hope there is a 60" or less version for us ridge runners.The "sport utility" side by sides just don't cut it, too wide and clutzy...even the much hailed commander...the RZR is king but its only a matter of time before it gets knocked off. I would bet you will see Yammi and Can-Am releasing pure sport SxS's in the next few years.
I searched and couldn't find that poll you talked about on ArcticChat. The figures I have came from Polaris. They didn't say whether they were US wide or just the southwest. But whatever the case, we are glad AC is giving us the machine we've been asking for. If you have the numbers you say you do, then get them to ask AC for a smaller machine. But AC themselves said, the biggest growth in the industry is in the sports/high performance SXSs, which is the RZR-S, 4 and XP900, moreso than the RZR.Good luck, I hope AC builds you what you want also, we've been voicing this and asking for it for more than one or two years...

#17 ·
I think they will in time...I'm just a little too overexcited about the Wildcat...maybe the initial offering will be the 64-66" machine with a 60" machine to follow. I go over to the RZR site and there are many areas that restrict ridng to 60" wide UTV's, some even have 50" restrictions. Around these parts mother nature determines if a machine is too wide or long...I ride with guys who have SxS's, I have a TRV which has a larger turn radius then a normal ATV, and I still maneuver in tight areas way better then the Rhino and Prowlers.

#18 ·
There is some serious problems with what you are asking for havoc. You cant have all the suspension travel if you narrow down the machine. Unless you want a single seater. That is the only way it would be possible. You need length on the arms to achieve the travel. It just isn't physically possible. The only other way would be to raise it up even higher, which will never happen for safety purposes. The geometry just wont work in a narrower side by side. So if they have a narrower version, it would have to have less travel. Plus I just cant see them having 2 or 3 different sized frames for this vehicle. A narrower vehicle really would need an entirely different sized frame. The RZR went the other way. They started very narrow with limited travel and ground clearance, and then widened that out for the new S and XP. I just think this Wilcat was really aimed at the desert and dune riders. And I am happy about that. My 1000XTZ still wasnt the right machine for that kind of riding. The wildcat certainly will be................

#19 ·
I am from the Midwest (Indiana) but ride exclusively south and south east (Kentucky, Tenn, West Virginia and soon Virginia). I had a 50" RZR, first thing we did is make it wider but claimed the S was to wide - we were wrong, then we said the XP was to wide - we were wrong again. I ride with a XP that is 71" wide and has some issues from time to time, but never enough to stop and turn around. What I am seeing with all the XPs is the trails are getting wider. We ride the Red & Blue trails whenever we can and green aka service roads to get to the reds /blues.

I don't require a huge bed, just one big enough to carry my cooler and other crap (rain suit, tire plugs) in some sort of box. Now that everyone I ride with has a RZR S or XP it will be a hard decision to try something else - I had a RZR when the Rhinos dominated the market.

#20 · (Edited)
I had an interesting conversation with some RZR XP riders this past weekend and all said the same thing as you Bad. Their "narrow" trails have evolved into slightly wider trails. As I ride my TRV I always think about if a wider machine will be ok in the areas I am in, and you know what, 95% of the time I should be ok. So I guess I am coming around to your guys way of thinking.

#22 ·
3 XP owners I have talked to recently all say its the way to go. Whether it be the power, the suspension travel, the handling, and the comfort. My initial thoughts on the Wildcat have changed, I am now convinced the "XP level" Wildcat is also the way to go.

#33 ·
I hear the same...although I will never sell my Teryx if I have a choice? If it wasn't for the Wildcat coming out, I would already be having a second SXS in my garage and it would be the XP (shudder)...I hope that AC hits one out of the park because I would love nothing more than to shut the pie holes of those Polaris guys with a stock WildCat...oh yea...

#23 ·
There are serious issues with the XP, just read the RZR forums: melting issue behind the passenger seat (can be fixed with a $40 heat shield from a vendor), radius rods bend easy (after market chrome alloy available), trailing arms get caught on stuff because they are lower than the skid plate (after market trailing arms available that raise them), stock tires suck and axels bend (after market axels available)

Although there is no perfect SxS, at $16,500 msrp I should only be concerned what accessories I want. I just hope the Wildcat doesn't have the same issues as the XP. I do expect it to have some issues being the the model year, it really comes down to how fast to correct the issues and stand behind the warranty.

#26 ·
dude...their Polaris's...need I say more?

I thought about the year one issues, and there will be some, but I am ready to buy a SxS and if the Wildcat wasn't coming out, I'd be buying a ...ack...Polaris.

Hopefully Cat has addressed some of their own QC issues like they had with their ATV's and sleds.

#24 ·
I hope this is coming out this year. I am going to buy a SxS this summer, and if this comes, I will get it. If not I'm gonna get an XP.

#28 ·
When will we know? When is the dealer show or info release date?

#30 ·
Thanks.

#34 ·
Got the word that dealers will be allowed to "pre-order" starting Aug 2nd!!! That makes sense because the 50th birthday bash is next weekend. We should be hearing something more official then. Cat has been very tight lipped on this machine. I wouldn't doubt if they have more surprises up their sleeves for next week, whether it be with their sleds, ATV's or SxS's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.