Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a snorkel kit for my wildcat 4x we do a lot of riding in the river and i want to be able to get deeper and not worry about sucking water up into the intake. I also ride a lot in the desert and dont want to sacrifice power so is there any downside to putting a snorkel kit on my cat and will i lose anything in the ways of performance?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If it's properly sized, it shouldn't affect performance. You'll pull cleaner, cooler air most of the time with a good snorkel outfit compared to the stock setup, and your air filter should stay cleaner more of the time, so it might help performance a little in the long run.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I don't think the stock intake location is ideal. It's a compromise between performance, cost, weight, assembly hassle, etc. The large airbox probably has enough volume for several intake "gulps" at any given moment, so the intake piping's size and length between the airbox and the engine intake is probably a lot more critical to performance than the snorkel feeding the airbox, so long as it large enough to meet average maximum flow. The snorkel is always open, but the V-twin grabs air in a series of gulps as the intake valves open and close. You'd have to be revving high at wide open throttle to get the maximum volume moving through the snorkel, and even then I'd expect that most all the intake pulse "waves" would be dissipated in the airbox/filter assy. As you get past the air box and closer to the intake ports, the size, length, and configuration of the air piping gets more critical to engine performance.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Riding in 115 degree heat and radiator fans a blazing, I would think that the snorkel location would draw hot air into the intake for the engine and belt, and now instead of air being rammed into the tunnel and forced into the air box and cvt, U have created a negative pressure area to draw air from. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been a little concerned about the hot air coming in through the snorkel location so i have been toying with turning the intakes around kind of creating a ram air affect

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I have been a little concerned about the hot air coming in through the snorkel location so i have been toying with turning the intakes around kind of creating a ram air affect
that is exactly what I thought.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Still not gonna give desired effect with tubes down, trust me! Been through this with both Wildcats and in the end side mounted intake for both is what works best! Sorry to burst bubble, buy U R in for a lot of belt issues!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts