Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Wildcat Sport Ltd
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if this has been covered or not but.......why do people put a winch on the FRONT of anything. If you have to use it wouldn't you think you would want to go back to where you were before the winch was needed? Not further into it?

I am going to make a hitch bracket and install receiver to front so I can use on either end. Just thought the concept of front winch was funny. I'm sure it had a military of have to get through purpose and the position stuck.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I use the front winch all the time rock crawling get other people out you come to a nasty boulder and rock ledge hows a rear winch gonna get you over the boulder or ledge even if your on a hill climb get stuck 3/4 the way up whats a rear winch gonna do you could just back down a front winch on the hand would get you up and over the hill never needed a rear winch

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Had winches on both ends of my old 700 Mud Pro ATV, probably used the front more than the rear but both were handy to have at times ( able to secure the machine to something while pulling something else) etc. I have actually thought of putting a mount and winch on the rear of the trail. Like a lot of other things, just haven't gotten around to it.

·
Registered
2015 Wildcat Sport Ltd
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use the front winch all the time rock crawling get other people out you come to a nasty boulder and rock ledge hows a rear winch gonna get you over the boulder or ledge even if your on a hill climb get stuck 3/4 the way up whats a rear winch gonna do you could just back down a front winch on the hand would get you up and over the hill never needed a rear winch
LoL why would it matter if you were facing forward?
It's the same only in reverse. I was thinking more of riding by yourself having to get your vehicle un-stuck.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000
3 Posts
Once you get some trail time under your belt you'll understand. If you ride in a lot of mud you'll definitely need it sooner or later. My experience is that a winch is used mostly for helping other people more than helping yourself.

And if you don't want to know if you can make it over those rocks or through that mud hole, then you're kind of missing the point of off-roading altogether.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
And if you don't want to know if you can make it over those rocks or through that mud hole, then you're kind of missing the point of off-roading altogether.
Ding...Ding...Ding..winner here, well said, have never really seen the need for one on both ends but I've wore out a couple on the front.
Besides be hard to see what your doing plowing snow with the winch operated blade on the back ;)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Fully agree. After owning 2 SXS and 2 Winch setups, we use the winch out front way more than out back. I can't say that I have ever wanted it out back. I could see it happening possibly. But if you are stuck, you are usually committed to going all the way through.

Now those that winch using a dash switch, it's also easier to see when when winching out the front as well, rather than looking over your shoulder out the back. (obviously fixed using a remote) If you have to choose, go out the front.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I've been stuck where the only way out was winching from the rear. We were riding alone and it was a 15 mile walk down the mountain. If that sounds like a even a slight possibility for how you ride, mounting a winch where it can only pull you forward is kind of foolish. If you always have help, a front mount works.

I put my winch on a hitch shank, with receivers front, rear and on the gear rack. Remote control relay is also mounted on the winch. Plug and pull, from either end. The hitch pin locks, so the winch is also protected from thieves.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I was stuck once where only way out was back, I simply ran the cable under the machine & hook up, pull backwards.
Not saying bad idea to have one reversible but if your stuck to the bumper in mud have fun trying to get a winch mounted receiver installed, usually we ride with someone that could winch you back, personally have found it very rare I ever needed one on the back, you can usually winch sideways or even up a little to get out.

·
Premium Member
7,793 Posts
i no i'm cursing myself but we've had 6 rigs over the last 16 years and only times we've used a winch was for a snow plow on our 3 a/c trv atv's...

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
... I was stuck once where only way out was back, I simply ran the cable under the machine & hook up, pull backwards.
Not saying bad idea to have one reversible but if your stuck to the bumper in mud have fun trying to get a winch mounted receiver installed...
Individually, both the cable under the machine trick and the digging down to the receiver comment are valid. But if you need to run that cable under the machine when you are bumper deep in mud, I would MUCH rather I only had to dig down to the receiver.

Reactions: mtgott

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Also, I carry enough gear to be able to strap my winch to almost any point on the frame if the receivers are buried.

Reactions: mtgott

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
I'll stick with the set up I had on the Mud Pro, flip a switch to select front or rear winch and go from there, digging under the machine in a mud hole to run the cable underneath doesn"t appeal to me at all

·
Registered
2015 Wildcat Sport Ltd
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been stuck where the only way out was winching from the rear. We were riding alone and it was a 15 mile walk down the mountain. If that sounds like a even a slight possibility for how you ride, mounting a winch where it can only pull you forward is kind of foolish. If you always have help, a front mount works.

I put my winch on a hitch shank, with receivers front, rear and on the gear rack. Remote control relay is also mounted on the winch. Plug and pull, from either end. The hitch pin locks, so the winch is also protected from thieves.

View attachment 252649
Yes sir, that’s what I was going to do

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Since your winch is on a receiver shank, all you need to be able to use it anywhere else on the machine is a tree-saver type strap and a hitch pin. Loop the strap around the frame, stick it into the winch shank and insert the pin in the loop. No need to build receiver sockets into your nerf bars. Just make sure your tree-saver strap is short enough for you to get power to the winch when it is stretched out.

·
Registered
2015 Wildcat Sport Ltd
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since your winch is on a receiver shank, all you need to be able to use it anywhere else on the machine is a tree-saver type strap and a hitch pin. Loop the strap around the frame, stick it into the winch shank and insert the pin in the loop. No need to build receiver sockets into your nerf bars. Just make sure your tree-saver strap is short enough for you to get power to the winch when it is stretched out.
These receivers double as jack points

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
That is a terrific idea!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts