Wildcat Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
We go to Calico for Halloween, then Dumont the rest of the dune season.
Nice job on the insulating, but I get my floors far to wet for that style of insulation.
Did all my panels in "Kilmat" same as / similar to Dynamat

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
We go to Calico for Halloween, then Dumont the rest of the dune season.
Nice job on the insulating, but I get my floors far to wet for that style of insulation.
Did all my panels in "Kilmat" same as / similar to Dynamat
That insulation is not for everyone. I don't ever drive through water. I'll go around a 3" puddle. Except for an occasional power wash, my stuff spends it's life bone dry.
When I get back from a ride, my 180 psi compressor blows 80% of the dust off.
HOWEVER,
I never have bearings or bushings fail. Nothing ever rusts or deteriorates.
The Cat now has 12.3 hours.
Things to do before Halloween:
Rigid lights
Lighted whips
New comfy seats
Oil cooler
Street legal kit

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
why were you surprised to find a yamaha filter on a yamaha motor?
When I was researching what filters to use, the threads I saw, people were wondering if a Yamaha filter would work and which filter to use.
I did NOT end up using the AC filter. I didn't like the way it felt when I was threading it on.
I used a Wix filter. It felt more "normal" when threading the filter on and the threads looked better side by side.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
What he said on the comms, a good set of headsets kill's the drone but not all sounds.
The insulation I used is acoustic and thermal insulation. It;s now insulated, walls, battery cover, console and floors up to the brake pedal. The results are better than I expected.
I can make the claim that it's actually almost quiet inside now. Above 30 mph, I can barely hear the engine at all.
I also cut the engine heat inside. And the interior dirt is non existent.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I now have about 16 hours on it. The clutch has "broken in" and is smoother. I didn't know they broke in.
I've been running 101 octane VIP race gas and it seems to like it. There's a VIP gas station near me. I ordered some Baja Designs lights and lighted whips. Dune season begins Halloween weekend. So far, so good. After coming from a CanAm, the Cat is growing on me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Race gas is a waste and you are not only costing more $$ and having less power. More octane does not equal more power if your motor is not set up to take it. It is actually the opposite. Run the lowest octane fuel your rig is set up to run. I think the stock XX is set up for regular 87 octane (don't quote me, I would need to check the manual). If it has a tune in the ECU, then run premium.

In order to get the most power with the 101 you would need to bump the compression and/or timing a lot more than stock. The higher the octane, the slower it burns (resists pre-detonation).

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Race gas is a waste and you are not only costing more $$ and having less power. More octane does not equal more power if your motor is not set up to take it. It is actually the opposite. Run the lowest octane fuel your rig is set up to run. I think the stock XX is set up for regular 87 octane (don't quote me, I would need to check the manual). If it has a tune in the ECU, then run premium.

In order to get the most power with the 101 you would need to bump the compression and/or timing a lot more than stock. The higher the octane, the slower it burns (resists pre-detonation).
I put race gas in it because it's the only ethanol-free gas the station sells besides the 5 gallon VIP cans. Smells really good!
So either I use ethanol tainted fuel that goes bad in 6 weeks (the desert heat breaks down ethanol really fast)
Or the 101 ethanol free. Or I can drive and hour and get 91 octane ethanol free.
So I'm not sure what to do?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I own a motorcycle shop as well as having multiple rigs myself. On fuel injected engines, ethanol fuels can be tolerated. My Triumph regularly sits for months at a time with Chevron premium in it. Fires right up when I am ready to go. Same with my XX. Non-ethanol would be preferred, of course, but not at the trouble you have to go through. In fact, I have a non-ethanol station near my shop. I do buy jugs of it to use in the shop on customer's bikes, but in my own it is Chevron or Shell premium. If you want a bit of extra peace of mind, put in some Sta-bil storage additive. But really, you will probably not have an issue. The only issue I see with "occasional use" motorcycles, ATV's and SXS in my shop are the ones that are still carbureted. Those need non-ethanol fuel.

Funny fact, I live in Boise, ID and the fuel that is currently in my Triumph I bought in Lake Havasu last March. It was a busy summer and did not get in any riding since then. It will fire right up when I hit the starter.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Automotive lighting Motorcycle Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

I took the hour and a half drive for 110 gallons of ethanol-free 93 octane. It's what they have that doesn't have ethanol.
Installed the Baja Designs spots and floods, dual lighted 6' whips for the dunes and a bright dome light. Took me a bit to figure out the accessory wiring. MAN, wire is expensive right now!
I installed downward pointing lights to light the bottom of the dash (switch area) and console and the floor a little bit. We do a lot of night riding. Being so close to Death Valley, it can be hot on Christmas Day!
2 weeks to the Halloween Dune Gathering, the biggest off road bash you've never heard of..
30,000 to 40,000 people. 1800 horsepower sand cars, run what you brung sand drags,
Hillclimb sand drags,
People lose their camp. 15,000 RV's randomly parked in the desert, at night, everything looks the same. There have been times, I just slept in my Canned Ham after driving in circles for hours! At least the CAT is more comfy! I carry a full cooler and a blanket.
I'll post pics of the crazyness and if anyone wants to join us... we go Halloween, Thanksgiving, New Years, Presidents day week, and Easter. After Easter, it gets too hot.
Revolver Automotive lighting Flash photography Gas Font
look

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have never been to the dunes, only a bunch of YouTube videos. While it looks interesting, it does not look like my cup of tea. First, I simply do not like getting very far off the ground. Raced desert on two wheels for over 20 years and if my tires got more than 3' off the ground, I soiled my shorts. Of course, at 70 I flew for a ways. But dunes look like too many people, too much of a party scene, and so many years on a bike I hated sand. Yes, I know, it's different.... I would much rather go on a couple hundred mile trek through the Idaho mountains exploring old mining areas, or, take a trip to Parker/Lake Havasu area and let the girl stretch her legs in the desert.

Maybe someday I will have to go and give it a chance.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I have never been to the dunes, only a bunch of YouTube videos. While it looks interesting, it does not look like my cup of tea. First, I simply do not like getting very far off the ground. Raced desert on two wheels for over 20 years and if my tires got more than 3' off the ground, I soiled my shorts. Of course, at 70 I flew for a ways. But dunes look like too many people, too much of a party scene, and so many years on a bike I hated sand. Yes, I know, it's different.... I would much rather go on a couple hundred mile trek through the Idaho mountains exploring old mining areas, or, take a trip to Parker/Lake Havasu area and let the girl stretch her legs in the desert.

Maybe someday I will have to go and give it a chance.
Every day we take a long trail ride.
Halloween we go to the War Eagle Mine. It's a couple hours away. One of the coolest mines we've ever been to. Look it up, there's videos and write ups about it. It's a safe mine.
War Eagle Mine in Tecopa.
Then we take a long ride to Baker CA, there's a ghost town along the way.
On these holiday weekends, we don't dune much. (dangerous)
The BLM has a medical station with a busy flight-for-life helicopter.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The lights in the dash light up the switch panel nicely without blinding me.
They turn on when I turn the key on.
And every machine should come with a dome light.
The dome light and the lighted whips I wired myself so I don't have to turn the key on. They work anytime.
Car Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Audio equipment Automotive design Gear shift Gas Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
8,255 Posts
I put race gas in it because it's the only ethanol-free gas the station sells besides the 5 gallon VIP cans. Smells really good!
So either I use ethanol tainted fuel that goes bad in 6 weeks (the desert heat breaks down ethanol really fast)
Or the 101 ethanol free. Or I can drive and hour and get 91 octane ethanol free.
So I'm not sure what to do?
when we had our xx i went about 37 miles one way to get 91 octane ethanol free gas...never ran anything other than that in the xx when we were local...always ran great in the machine...believe 87 octane ethanol free would have worked as well but it wasn't available locally...never ran any fuel without stabil in it...

21 - 40 of 51 Posts