Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my first ride in a side by side this past weekend. It was a new RZR XP and I was greatly disapointed. Seriously folks that thing was a family wagon type boring. and its the industy standard to beat?????

Is the Wildcat going to be the same lame attempt at fun where the user has to dump 10K of addon's to have some fun?

I'm talking stock honda CR500 lets roll and get outahere fun! ya wanna rock crawl, use low range and creep away, ya wanna roll in the sand well a toy like this should actually accelerate up the steepest longest dune.....period.

The RZR could/Should have had at least another 40 Hp (minimal) my god you pay approximately $20K for a toy (out the door with a minimal of "personalization")

Seriously I would like answer.

Why didnt AC use the 1100T snowmobile motor? tone it down just a bit done....done man done. work on the useability suspension gagets, lighting weight reduction etc etc. for progression to the next model

I know I know I'm tearing one down before they are even available but manufacturers just always seem to do things half assed.

spomey

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Everyone always says that they won't make a SxS super fast due to instability issues and fear of litigation. But realistically, manufacturers sell extremely fast snowmobiles and boats to anyone. You don't even need a special license. I think the problem with the UTV is building the rest of the machine to handle the power. I think you would be paying sandrail prices if they decided to make these more of a small sandrail instead of a SxS. You can buy a 2 seat sandrail with a Hyabusa motor in it that goes well over 100mph and has 20" of travel for $25,000. I think there is a line where the SxS stops and the sandrail begins. If you want a sandrail, go buy one. If you want an all around, fun, 4x4 that does everything pretty well but nothing extremely well, then go with a UTV......................

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
You Should Of Waited To Take Your 1st Ride In A Wildcat & Then Made Your 1st Post
Oh Welcome To The Site:cool:

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Everyone always says that they won't make a SxS super fast due to instability issues and fear of litigation. But realistically, manufacturers sell extremely fast snowmobiles and boats to anyone. You don't even need a special license. I think the problem with the UTV is building the rest of the machine to handle the power. I think you would be paying sandrail prices if they decided to make these more of a small sandrail instead of a SxS. You can buy a 2 seat sandrail with a Hyabusa motor in it that goes well over 100mph and has 20" of travel for $25,000. I think there is a line where the SxS stops and the sandrail begins. If you want a sandrail, go buy one. If you want an all around, fun, 4x4 that does everything pretty well but nothing extremely well, then go with a UTV......................
Yeah there are 70 horse quads so I do not think the stability of the SxS is the consideration at all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I took my first ride in a side by side this past weekend. It was a new RZR XP and I was greatly disapointed. Seriously folks that thing was a family wagon type boring. and its the industy standard to beat?????

Is the Wildcat going to be the same lame attempt at fun where the user has to dump 10K of addon's to have some fun?

I'm talking stock honda CR500 lets roll and get outahere fun! ya wanna rock crawl, use low range and creep away, ya wanna roll in the sand well a toy like this should actually accelerate up the steepest longest dune.....period.

The RZR could/Should have had at least another 40 Hp (minimal) my god you pay approximately $20K for a toy (out the door with a minimal of "personalization")

Seriously I would like answer.

Why didnt AC use the 1100T snowmobile motor? tone it down just a bit done....done man done. work on the useability suspension gagets, lighting weight reduction etc etc. for progression to the next model

I know I know I'm tearing one down before they are even available but manufacturers just always seem to do things half assed.

spomey
When talking to the development team in Utah, they indicated that the "1100T motor" didn't have enough torque for the weight of the wildcat.
It is also a Suzuki motor. Don't know if that was an "issue or not" for the choice of motor?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Wait until the after market vendors start building big bore kits and turbos. They may want it out west, but it wll get you killed on the technical stuff East / Southeast

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hear what your saying Full of Mud I'm comparing my experience with the RZR only and about 1 hour in that is all, it sounds like you have ridden them, tell me about how they ride, how they accelerate, etc, I'm very curious. please dont say...its fast, tell me how fast, tell me how quick its acceleration is, 0-30 mph etc. My hopes are that riding in this would make the RZR feel like you hopped into a Gator or something similar. The market for that type of ride is WIDE open.

I guess maybe I didn't make myself clear, or maybe its some big secret. I'm wanting to know the expected stock horsepower of this thing I dont want to have to do motorwork, add a turbo or supercharger you shouldn't have to. To illustrate my point, look at mx dirtbikes around 5lbs per hp. high end snowmobiles about 3 lb per hp, yes I know they are race bikes and the elite stuff BUT thats what this is...the "high performance" UTV.
if its 100 hp then its 13 lbs / hp and my guess is it will be less than 100 Hp. I'm not saying I want a dune runner only BUT that is one thing that it should do very effectively.

I disagree with you Baditude about HP being bad in technical stuff, gearing can easily care of that and I see rock crawlers with high output engines so even though I dont do that sport, I dont see a downside of a high Hp and the torque that goes along with it.

I guess what I am say is AC has an opportunity to put out a 150Hp, reliable, fun usable in all conditions SXS and taking the High end market completely away from the RZR, and my guess is they are copying it instead, (you know what i mean) minor changes, but basically the same thing and the same class machine.

Please understand, I dont want to go 100 mph I'm talking acceleration, suspension, agility..."bad assness" is that a word.

Dont get me wrong if its what I dream of I'll get one, if it's a green RZR or minimal improvement well I guess I'll pass. also I hear that AC is making the dealers purchase $900 of accessories for each wildcat they order...expect huge up-selling when you get one.

Maybe I will build my own?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't think SxS manufacturers can afford to build to extreme consumer needs and vice versa the average consumer wouldn't pay for it. Most are more than content with the XP's HP.

I bet the WC's HP isn't much, if any, more than the RZR XP's otherwise it would already be touted in advertisements and videos.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well if you were disappointed with the XP's horsepower, you will be dissappointed with the wildcat too. Although the wildcat will have more power than the xp, 10 horsepower more is not gonna make a difference with you when reading the flavor of your post. Sounds like you want a 150 horespower UTV. Not gonna happen, unless you strap a turbo to it. Sorry man, maybe UTV's are not for you. Like someone else said above, get you a sandrail.

·
Registered
161 Posts
On paper this thing is way beyond the Polaris XP based on it's suspension. The XP is about 12" of travel and the WC is 18". That is a HUGE difference. It's definitely not a green WC. Also the extra length will make a lot of difference for stability. If this suspension functionally put the power to the ground it will make it a different class of machine from anything out there now.

As for horsepower- I wish the ratio was 1 hp to 9 lbs myself. You always want to be under 1 to 10 on 4 wheels. Motorcycles are a different animal. People discount the legal liability of high hp utv's but I think it's the reason why they don't build them more powerful. Think about the big picture and how much money Polaris is currently making because of their sport machines. Why do you think the Japanese companies aren't in the game at all? There were the ones that always pushed the envelope and now they are sitting on the sidelines. There is a reason why they don't jump in and chase that profit.

·
Vendor
508 Posts
On paper this thing is way beyond the Polaris XP based on it's suspension. The XP is about 12" of travel and the WC is 18". That is a HUGE difference. It's definitely not a green WC. Also the extra length will make a lot of difference for stability. If this suspension functionally put the power to the ground it will make it a different class of machine from anything out there now.

As for horsepower- I wish the ratio was 1 hp to 9 lbs myself. You always want to be under 1 to 10 on 4 wheels. Motorcycles are a different animal. People discount the legal liability of high hp utv's but I think it's the reason why they don't build them more powerful. Think about the big picture and how much money Polaris is currently making because of their sport machines. Why do you think the Japanese companies aren't in the game at all? There were the ones that always pushed the envelope and now they are sitting on the sidelines. There is a reason why they don't jump in and chase that profit.
Great post and I agree with you 100%. What the UTV manufacturers are going through right now, the ATV manufacturers went through in the 80's because of the CPSC and frivolous lawsuits. ATV progression was stalled for more than a decade because of these outside influences. You don't think Yamaha and Honda have the resources and know how to build a UTV that would demolish the XP? I have to believe they are still licking their wounds from all the Rhino rollover lawsuits. I'm guessing the Wildcat comes in around 95 hp with an industry best suspension and the aftermarket will take care of those looking for 150 hp. We'll know a lot more within a months time...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think BajaBob is on track with what I'm thinking, and maybe it is a legal issue, although sleds and bikes break that liability rule. I guess some of you still think all I would want is a sand buggy, and that is NOT the case. I guess the form on this site labeled "Whats the first thing you will do when you get your new WC" really gets under my skin. This day in age with the advancements in manufacturing and design why do we allow manufacturers to sell us less than totaly AWESOME? That's the point I'm making. I guess I heard so much about how goos the XP is and how fast and how the suspension was out of this world and on and on and on. my buddy now has $21K invested in his pride and joy XP and to me it was comparitive to a 400ex 4 wheeler, kindof fun but extremely lacking. I'm hoping the Wildcat shatters this mold.

·
Vendor
508 Posts
I That's the point I'm making. I guess I heard so much about how goos the XP is and how fast and how the suspension was out of this world and on and on and on. my buddy now has $21K invested in his pride and joy XP and to me it was comparitive to a 400ex 4 wheeler, kindof fun but extremely lacking. I'm hoping the Wildcat shatters this mold.
I have an XP and have had a 400ex and the XP is a bit more advanced :p but point taken, it's not near the class of any current 450 MXer. One reason I think bikes are able to be sold in full race configuration is people naturally approach motorcycles as inherently dangerous vehicles, where they approach ATV's and UTV's as cute fat tired friendly vehicles. My experience tells me that ATV's are more dangerous than 2 wheelers with their uncanny ability to chase you down and pummel you in a crash, but the average citizen believes the opposite. So that culture I think allows manufacturers to more easily put out Hyabusas and CR500's right under the bureaucrats noses. Also I think there is a bit of restraint in the business plans of manufacturers which say we'll sell more units over time if we dole out the advancements/sales enticements a year at a time as opposed to putting out the best sport UTV they can design this year.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have an XP and have had a 400ex and the XP is a bit more advanced :p but point taken, it's not near the class of any current 450 MXer. One reason I think bikes are able to be sold in full race configuration is people naturally approach motorcycles as inherently dangerous vehicles, where they approach ATV's and UTV's as cute fat tired friendly vehicles. My experience tells me that ATV's are more dangerous than 2 wheelers with their uncanny ability to chase you down and pummel you in a crash, but the average citizen believes the opposite. So that culture I think allows manufacturers to more easily put out Hyabusas and CR500's right under the bureaucrats noses. Also I think there is a bit of restraint in the business plans of manufacturers which say we'll sell more units over time if we dole out the advancements/sales enticements a year at a time as opposed to putting out the best sport UTV they can design this year.
Great points.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree with what your saying Factory, and I also accept alot of it as fact, BUT I'm hoping for change. Instead of piece mealing the consumer along I just wish they would build a full on done deal unit and keep the design steady for several years, take the Banshee from yamaha, virtually unchanged during it life, yet still one of the best sold ATV ever. Yes you could mod the hell out of them, but did ya really need to?

C'mona acrtic cat!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I fall into the category of consumer that wants one that is powerful yet durable. I figure this one will come in as mentioned around 95hp and that is good by me. The more HP the more overbuilt the rest of the machine has to be or you will get breakage. I really don't want a UTV that can twist it's axles in 1/2 if I pour on the go peddle with a tire bound up. I do the same with sleds, I would rather not be the first up the hill like only to be the one getting towed back to the lot in the end.

·
Banned
441 Posts
Banshees were a POS,and tons of money to make them work.Beat a few in my day on my lil 3 w
heeler.:cool:

·
Vendor
508 Posts
I agree with what your saying Factory, and I also accept alot of it as fact, BUT I'm hoping for change. Instead of piece mealing the consumer along I just wish they would build a full on done deal unit and keep the design steady for several years, take the Banshee from yamaha, virtually unchanged during it life, yet still one of the best sold ATV ever. Yes you could mod the hell out of them, but did ya really need to?

C'mona acrtic cat!!!!!
Agree 100%, just don't see it happening for the reasons I stated. I hope I'm wrong!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts