Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Sounds like they toasted a bearing in the motor...probably due to their following the break in procedures...LOL.
That being said, Textron should be calling for the first oil change at 100 miles after seeing what I saw on my first filter...lots of break in-"goo' clogging the filter.
I did mine at 100...second will be at 500.
Wouldn't be surprised they had an oil starvation issue during one of their "antics".

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Poor Wildcat XX was making all kinds of noises from the clutch and engine within a few miles of their trip to the dunes. They did not even do anything. Hopefully it is just an issue with clutch and not the motor.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Sounds like they toasted a bearing in the motor...probably due to their following the break in procedures...LOL.
That being said, Textron should be calling for the first oil change at 100 miles after seeing what I saw on my first filter...lots of break in-"goo' clogging the filter.
I did mine at 100...second will be at 500.
Wouldn't be surprised they had an oil starvation issue during one of their "antics".
Do they use synthetic oil for the Wildcat XX? If it is a bearing that went, they just got the one bad one from the factory.

On my X3 I did not do my first oil change until around 1500 miles or more and everything was clean. Not much on the drain plugs. Did my second oil change at around another 1500 miles. I do the diff/trans fluids when I change the oil.

When I had my XP1000 I did the oil every 500 miles and diff/trans every 1000 miles.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Do they use synthetic oil for the Wildcat XX? If it is a bearing that went, they just got the one bad one from the factory.

On my X3 I did not do my first oil change until around 1500 miles or more and everything was clean. Not much on the drain plugs. Did my second oil change at around another 1500 miles. I do the diff/trans fluids when I change the oil.

When I had my XP1000 I did the oil every 500 miles and diff/trans every 1000 miles.
New rigs I always do it early...no telling what is in the motor.
On this motor- I am glad I did. Lots of goo as others can attest to...obviously slowing down the flow through the filter.

Did you cut your filters open? I always do it on the first change. This one had the most I have ever seen....not metal, or even silicone...goo...like assembly grease.

My oil was clean as a whistle...

And the Yamaha filter they use looks small compared to the Wix. If they had a Yamaha filter in there, it might pose an issue if you are running at WOT for extended periods during break in...(what you should not do but those guys do). Mine came with a Wix from the factory...which I thought was strange.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Yeah this isnt their fault at all....and im starting to agree about the kool aid drinkin
We all work for Textron...LOL.

And I find it kinda funny also that some folks are rushing to NOT blame anyone...the same folks that have NO IDEA what happened.
But they are truly sure from a couple of edited film clips.

Somebody screwed up in the chain...who? We will probably never know.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
The X3 uses a drop in paper filter and you would see anything abnormal. My XP1000 I never cut the filter open. Never though about it.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
The type of filter used does not have anything to do with a dry sump system.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Even if it’s a engine issue, that’s not a Arctic Cat mistake, that’s a Yamaha mistake. And from what I’ve heard, there are very few Yamaha engine related failures. So if it was an engine, the SXS Blog dorks should be bagging on Yamaha.

Same if it’s a clutch issue, which it sounds not to be. But those are designed & built by Team Ind., the same guys who build their beloved Polaris clutches.

Also when they did the belt changed, could they have rotated the engine backwards when trying to get the belt off or on? Could it have jumped time, and bent a valve? They even admitted they just changed the belt, now it’s making a clunking noise!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Even if it’s a engine issue, that’s not a Arctic Cat mistake, that’s a Yamaha mistake. And from what I’ve heard, there are very few Yamaha engine related failures. So if it was an engine, the SXS Blog dorks should be bagging on Yamaha.

Same if it’s a clutch issue, which it sounds not to be. But those are designed & built by Team Ind., the same guys who build their beloved Polaris clutches.

Also when they did the belt changed, could they have rotated the engine backwards when trying to get the belt off or on? Could it have jumped time, and bent a valve? They even admitted they just changed the belt, now it’s making a clunking noise!
The were not bagging on the Wildcat XX. They sounded disappointed it happen as they wanted to drive it. They will get it sorted out and post some good videos with it.

I thought Yamaha supplied the blocks and some parts, but Textron put the motors together. Does not really matters as it is likely a fluke thing.

From what I have seen they like the way the Wildcat XX drives.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yamaha builds the engines. Cat is only building the USA 2 strokes and some Textron Webber engines in house. There have been some fluke engine failures on the sled side as well and Yamaha has taken care of it. If you look on the internet there a pics of damaged oil pump drives on sleds with under 200 miles that have caused low oil pressure or engines to go down. I have 2 998T sleds and a XX with zero engine issues so I would not worry about it myself. The XX is a good machine......

1 - 20 of 206 Posts