Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So went to Glamis on T-Day and shoed the XX with 32" CST paddles. Stock clutching and no motor mods.

These tires are awesome and really hook up compared to the stock wheels and tires aired down. The tires are a hair to big with the stock shock setup and two people in the car. There was a slight bit of rubbing on the firewall when turning while suspension was compressing but it was tolerable.

I didn't find that the car was under powered and followed x'3s all weekend. The only time they would pull me was on very steep dunes and when the suspension was not able to handle the terrain. I had to take it easy so the better half didn't get whiplash from the g-outs. Overall I am very happy with the new paddles and stock everything else. However I am going to increase the fun factor with some shock work of some kind.

Addressing the shocks I felt that they did very well in the chop that was out there but were not able to handle the G-outs. It seemed that they would go through the entire stroke of the shock on every transition and bottom unless you backed out of it. I didn't have time to mess with the crossovers or any other settings except the three settings they come with. I ran most of the weekend running setting 2 on the front and 3 on the rear and felt I could go to 3 on the front but it would make the chop and overall ride rougher.

I was doing research and shock thearapy recommends start with springs and do valving if that doesn't do it for you. I haven't found any other options at this point so if there are any other suggestions I would like to hear them.

I am also thinking of some clutch work and the options I have researched are from just a secondary spring to helix and both springs with adjustable weights. I hate to buy as I go but think that is what I will do.

So just to end on a positive note the car was a blast and the power band really got the blood pumping. I can't imagine this thing on a hair dryer with 10 pounds of boost.

·
Administrator
27,786 Posts
Great review! Without shock work, no stock SXS is good on g-outs. Were you running your front sway bar? Try it without it, makes the g-outs and transitions much more tolerable. At least on the X3s.

Reactions: izom

·
Administrator
27,786 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry there should have been a comma between the NO and the sway bar was connected. They were both connected.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure I would want to run the dunes without sway bars, especially on the dune to dune transitions. I was at Glamis in early November with a fast group and the razor back transitions at high speeds were pretty sketchy for me with a 64" WB car. Everyone else was in a 72" turbo car. I had to dive down into the bowls twice on transitions as I thought I might roll. I am pretty sure I would have without sway bars. My wife thought we were going to cartwheel both times.

FYI I was also running a stock XX with 32 CSTs in the rear and felt that the power and traction were solid. If I ran dunes all the time I might consider 30" and clutch work to get a little more wheel spin but for now I am content. I will only dune 2-3 times a year.

Love the rig BTW. I was able to pass a few X3s in our group including my brother in the whoops on the way to Olds. He has about $40k in his rig and wasn't happy...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Do you know what the spring rates are from the Shock Therapy kit, or is that top secret? I know he uses eibach springs but if we knew the weights that would be super helpful.

·
Administrator
27,786 Posts
Do you know what the spring rates are from the Shock Therapy kit, or is that top secret? I know he uses eibach springs but if we knew the weights that would be super helpful.
Shock Therapy spring rates are proprietary.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Good stuff. Thanks for the info. I just took possession of that tire set up as well with some KMC bead locks. My ride will remain stock until the warranty is up in June. The 32's are BIG!
Not trying to jack the thread, but I was wondering if I'm supposed to run with the clutch cover on or off. Give me a break, I live in Minnesota...and it's snowing like a mo-fo as I type this.
I'll see y'all in the sand Dec. 26th. Party on!

Almost forgot, what tire pressure were you running on the CSTs with our pig of a machine?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
SpeedSXS has a clutch kit for 32's that has a custom helix, both springs, and adjustable weights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts