Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came across this video.

It looks like something went out in the rack. Anybody have the details?

·
Premium Member
7,562 Posts
i gotta go to bed...i'm exhausted after watching this whole video...love to know what the towing bill was on this run...

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

at 9:10 they say - steering locked up!?- seconds later hes driving/steering!?- later says - theres a "bad spot" r so...

well - as you said expensive and embarrising...;- ()

·
Registered
615 Posts
Looks like a long day...

·
Registered
105 Posts
I agree with them saying they could have driven it out, but was the right choice to tow..... except that first massive climb I probably would have winched the XX up so the trailer wasn't so much dead weight back there. I don't know, we've done done some shady stuff and made it but safety is always priority.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Initially, I thought it looked like a steering support bracket break. But I watched it again and it looked like the rack had a dead spot.

·
Registered
180 Posts
BTW, Winder towing is just a few miles from me. I would go by and ask, but I doubt they cared enough to look into what caused the steering issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not criticizing the towing company but dont you think theres a lot better way to tow something out of that terrain. I'm not saying a duece is the be all end all answer, but pulling a trailer with non driven axles needs a tow vehicle with a ton of traction much less better tires.

·
Registered
180 Posts
They could have had better gear for that recovery, but that job represents a small portion of their work. They generally just yank people out of the sand. He says the offroad recoveries don't make them any money. They have regular tow trucks for their core business. The offroad work they do on the cheap.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I bet they do the offroad recovery as more for fun then $.

That trail system looks super fun, where would it be near St. George/Hurricane or ???

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes. It appears they have a good time doing it. They now also make money via youtube.

As far as the location goes, this was closer to Kanab Utah (about 100 miles away). I've seen these guys drive more than 200 miles to pull someone out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts