Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface that I am not one to alarm or make a big stir about little issues.
However I had a chance to get a really good luck at a Wildcat from top to bottom yesterday. We were putting a new skid on and had it lifted way off the ground so I could really look things over. There were many things I was impressed with and were quite nice and stout. However there were a few things I would have done differently.

This ride had gone out for one big ride and had 84 miles on it. It already had some frame damage under the stock skid so if you are into rock crawling I would say definitley get an after market skid plate. Those outer frame tubes are big and look nice but they can definitely get big dents in them pretty easily if you don't have aftermarket protection when playing in the rocks. Don't be decieved thinking the stock one has you covered.

The most critical issue though and the reason for the post is any of you that have a Wildcat in hands now need to take five minutes and inspect the front rotors. This unit was ridden pretty hard but there were no long hills where they went, it wasn't hot, and it wasn't carrying a huge load.
Both front rotors had major cracks in them. See the attached image. While they went way over the top on suspension and shocks they really went cheap on these rotors for some reason. Remember this was after only 84 miles.
Be safe and keep and eye on these.
Happy Trails,
Tightline

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Bummer. Hope it's a one off thing. Otherwise after market will come to the rescue with better materials, increased thickness, smaller distributed holes, etc. Light unsprung weight has suspension advantage but no one needs cracking rotors.

How did the brakes feel during the ride? My demo ride seemed to lack braking power.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Most rotors are vented for cooling (hole patterns or milled slots) these rotors with only a couple holes wont cut it!!!
What was AC thinking?:pat:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes front and rear rotors are "cheesy" I hope it was a one off incident also. The production unit was in the 60's and both front rotors had a similar crack. I didn't drive the machine. I was just looking it over while in the air and on the ground. It is an easy check on your own ride though.

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
It would not hurt if they were bigger to.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Is it cold where you are? Just thinking if they got very hot and then super cooled that could do it. They still shouldn't do that, but that could be the cause..................

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The back disks are the same material only about a third smaller. They are tiny. There was no temp shock that I am aware of. I can't say what caused it just that it is something to watch. Yeah I laughed when I went to look at the back and they were the same crap only way smaller.

·
Vendor
508 Posts
The back disks are the same material only about a third smaller. They are tiny. There was no temp shock that I am aware of. I can't say what caused it just that it is something to watch. Yeah I laughed when I went to look at the back and they were the same crap only way smaller.
Thanks for the heads up! hope it's an isolated incident as you'd think the demo's that got flogged hard would have suffered the same fate? but maybe they did :pat:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So did anyone else check their front disks and if so what did you find? Maybe they had real machined disks on them for the demo's/prototypes. These were just stamped steel disks. Or maybe it was just one batch that was over hardened or something?

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
well we will see ..if mine crack or we see more of them cracking we can knock out some drilled and slotted rotors here at the fabshop
Certainly that is a good idea and, hopefully you'll make them with other benefits to increase consumer interest because honestly, this is something that AC will need to make right. It's a safety issue and I assure you they will be forced to recall. NOT what they want in the first couple months of release. If they are made aware of this, it will be resolved. Question is, when? And if now, then how does that affect our delivery dates?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts